UKCE Student Handbook

Welcome to UK College of English

Dear Student,

The aim of this handbook is to help you get the most out of your time with us. Above all, at UKCE we want you to enjoy your time here. Our policy is to provide you with a professional but fun learning environment. In this handbook, you can find:

  1. Information about our staff and school
  2. School rules and policies
  3. Useful information for living and studying in the UK
  4. What to do in an emergency

Lessons at UKCE are probably very different from what you’ve known before. Don’t expect to sit in rows! Don’t expect to be lectured! We teach by encouraging you to participate in discussion, games, analysis of the language and to learn from your teacher and the other students in your class. Be prepared to involve yourself in pair-work and group-work activities. The more you contribute to these activities, the more you will learn (and others too). Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. We view mistakes positively. They provide us with knowledge of what needs to be corrected…but don’t expect to be corrected all the time! If a teacher corrects every mistake you make, there is a danger that this will destroy your confidence, and confidence is the key to learning a language.

At UKCE we teach from a range of resources, including popular, widely used course books plus supplementary and teacher-generated materials. Classroom work is reviewed weekly in the Friday lessons and your progress will be regularly monitored through progress tests and tutorials with your teacher.

If you have any questions about your class, your course, or materials, or if you are interested in taking any exams, please feel free to come and see me in the office at the school.

If you have any questions about accommodation or administration, you should go to reception where Tara, Roberta, or Elena will be able to help you.

During the firrst week of your course, you will be asked to fill in an in-course questionnaire to check that you are happy with your course and with the service in general that the school provides. At the end of your course you will be given an end-of-course questionnaire; when you have completed this please give it to reception and you will then be able to collect your certificate.

Wishing you a happy and productive time with us at UKCE,

Nigel Barnett
Director of Studies

Staff and School


If you have any questions you can speak to any of our teachers, reception or management.

Center Head: Atam Sharma

Director of Studies: Nigel Barnett

Reception: Tara Evans Elena Gomez de Valcarcel Sabater (Evening)

Who to see about specific information or problems:

contact information

UKCE Contact info


The school is open from 8:30 am until 6:00 pm from Monday to Friday. Internet access You can use the internet throughout the school at any time during opening hours (when you are not in class).

The wifi network: student-ukce
The wifi password: tabletop

Personal belongings and valuables

CCTV is in operation throughout the school. However, please still keep any valuables with you at all times. Do not leave your possessions unattended in the classrooms between lessons or anywhere in the school.


There are vending machines offering coffee and tea in the Student Common Room along with a water dispenser.

UKCE Facilities

Public Holidays and School Closure days for 2017:

Thursday 13 April – School closed
Friday 14 April – Good Friday
Monday 17 April – Easter Monday
Tuesday 18 April – School closed
Monday 1 May – May day
Monday 29 May – Spring public holiday
Monday 28 August – Summer public holiday
Monday 25 December to Friday 5 January 2018 – School closed for Christmas and New Year

Course Description and Methodology


UKCE aims to equip students with the ability to express themselves successfully and confidently in English in a variety of situations and settings.

Whether you need English for work or pleasure, we endeavour to provide you with language courses that suit your needs and make learning an enjoyable experience.

Your teacher will provide you with:

  • The opportunity to use the target language in appropriate social-cultural situations and understand its structure.
  • Communicative lessons with an emphasis on speaking and listening skills and a balance of grammar,
    vocabulary, pronunciation, and spoken and written communicative activities.
  • An environment in which you are encouraged to participate in discussions, have fun and not fear making
    mistakes, and develop an independent learning style.
  • Progress testing and tutorials to ensure both you and your teacher are aware of your progress.
  • Resource materials such as extra worksheets and access to the school library of graded readers.

The UKCE syllabus

UKCE caters to a variety of students with diverse needs. All General English classes follow a 12 week syllabus, with a progress test every three weeks. The UKCE 12 week syllabus is based on one core course book which every student studying for more than two weeks is expected to purchase. Our syllabus is based on the importance of the communicative approach and covers a range of active and passive skills, weekly vocabulary and grammar topics. Your course book will follow the syllabus, but also includes sections for modern relevance, such as phone usage, songs, newspaper articles, and other materials. This is to help encourage you to not just learn a language, but to also live it.

The syllabus is designed to be flexible so that every lesson reflects student needs. All students must complete a Needs Analysis Form, which details goals, areas of difficulty, and special requests or needs. Your teacher will use this information to plan lessons that will be most effective for you and your classmates. Results of your progress tests and tutorials will also be recorded and used to help your teacher adapt the syllabus.

Once a progress test has been completed, the teacher uses the results, along with your general performance in class to complete an overall assessment form, which you will be able to keep. The tests cover the same language points as the previous three weeks of the syllabus, except for the final test, which covers the whole 12 weeks. This may be challenging if you have only recently arrived, but the test results will better help your teacher understands your needs as you prepare to start again with week one.


You will receive a tutorial every four weeks of your course. Tutorials are individual meetings with your teacher. At the start of the tutorial, your teacher will ask you some questions about how you feel about the course, giving you a chance to give any feedback on the class or on the school in general. You will also talk about your progress and agree on an action plan to be completed before the next tutorial.

Level Changes

Level changes are only made by teacher recommendation. Your teacher will usually make level change recommendations after a progress test. If you would like to change your level, please discuss this with your teacher.


All students are required to have a course book. Teachers will also provide students with supplementary worksheets and other photocopiable materials. Students may also borrow graded readers from the student library for leisure reading.

All classrooms come equipped with a white board and overhead projector that teachers can use to show videos or use PowerPoint.

Class sets of board games and individual dry erase boards are available for teachers to use in lessons.

School Rules

School rules and Policies

This information is designed to help you during your stay in London. Remember we are here to help you, so if you have any problems please come to speak to us.


In order to achieve ultimate success in your studies it is important that you regularly attend all your classes. Students must attend regularly and on time. If you are absent you must inform Tara, Roberta, or Elena and you must have a valid reason. You can contact the school by phone or by email. If you are absent for two days or more because of illness you should provide a medical certificate, if possible. If you are taking one-to-one lessons and you need to cancel a class due to sickness, you must inform the school the day before or before 9:00 am on the day of the class. If you are absent from school for 2 days in one week and you do not contact us, we will try to get in touch with you by phone and email. If we are not able to reach you, we will contact your next of kin. If you are absent for more than one week and you have not contacted us, your course may be cancelled.

All students must attend 80% of their lessons in order to receive a certificate of attendance. If your attendance falls below 80%, you will be asked to attend a meeting with a Welfare Officer. If your attendance does not improve, you will be given a verbal warning. If it still does not improve, you will be given a written warning. If, after both warnings, you do not start attending regularly, you will be given a final warning and asked to meet again with a Welfare Officer, and you may be expelled from the school without a refund.

If you are absent from school for 2 days in one week or more and you do not contact us, we will try to get in touch with you by phone and email. If we are not able to reach you, we will contact your next of kin and in extreme cases your course may be cancelled.


Please arrive at your class on time. If you are more than ten minutes late, you may be asked to wait until the break. If you are having problems travelling to school, please try to contact us. This helps the teachers plan effective lessons. If you are consistently late for your lessons, the Director of Studies will speak to you.

ID Cards:

You will be given a student ID card when you arrive. You must wear your ID at all times when you are in the school. If you do not wear your ID, you will not be admitted to your class. If you need a new ID card, you will be charged £5. Students under 18 years old will be given an ID card with a red coloured lanyard.

Change of Contact Details:

Please notify us if you change your email, your telephone number, or your address in London.

Postponing or Putting Your Course On Hold

Missed classes cannot be recovered and that the start and end dates will be decided at the time of registration. You may request a one week holiday if you book it at least 5 days in advance and pay a £25 fee for the week. If you are studying less than 12 weeks, you may only take a maximum of one week’s holiday. For courses 12 weeks or more, you can take a maximum of 2 weeks. Missed one to one lessons can only be recovered if one day’s notice is given. In principle, students should complete their course in the time allotted.  However, in exceptional circumstances, please speak to a member of the reception staff. It may be necessary to explain your situation to the Centre Head, whose decision is final.

UKCE Policies

Speak English in school:

It is very important you speak English in class, but you should also try to continue
speaking English even when you are not in class. Please use English at all times when you are in the communal
areas of the school.

Course books:

Every student must have a course book. You may have to buy more than one book.

Mobile phones:

Do not use your mobiles in class. Switch them off so they don’t ring.

Food & Beverage:

No food or drink is allowed in the classroom except for bottled water.


At the end of your first week and the end of your course you will be given a questionnaire so that we can have your opinion on the classes and the school. You must complete the end of course questionnaire in order to collect your certificate.


It is very important that all students and staff feel comfortable and safe. At UKCE, we have students and staff from all over the world. Please be aware of cultural differences and consider the comfort of others when interacting with students and staff in the school. If you are made to feel uncomfortable by anyone in the school, please speak to a member of staff immediately.

Abusive Behaviour:

    • Violence towards staff, students or visitors (including all acts of aggression, whether or not they result in physical injury)
    • Threatening behaviour (including the possession of offensive weapons, even if they are not shown)
    • Harassment (conduct towards others which is perceived as a negative act and which is unwanted, offensive, worrying, stressful or intimidating to the recipient)
    • Damaging, or attempting to damage College property or the personal property of staff or students, including the misuse of the College’s firefighting equipment.
    • Offensiveness to staff and/or other students
    • Anti-social behaviour (including drunken behaviour and/or excessive noise), even where there is no evidence of any deliberate intention to harass or inconvenience other students
    • Bullying of any kind, including cyberbullying
    • Unwanted physical contact or inappropriate attention

Theft or deception:

All students and staff have a right to privacy. It is dishonest to go into another person’s pockets or bags. Do not take items that do not belong to you without permission, even if you plan to return them later.

Extremism (Prevent Policy):

Extremism may refer to racism, homophobia, right-wing ideology and religious
extremism. At UKCE, our aim is to provide vulnerable students of any age, faith, ethnicity or background with support to prevent them being exploited by pro-terrorism organisations and engaging in terrorist activity themselves.

Drugs and alcohol:

No drugs or alcohol are allowed in the school and students must never be under the influence of drugs or alcohol in class. Please be aware of UK drugs laws so you do not break the law during your stay:


You may not smoke in the school. This includes electronic cigarettes. Smoking is illegal in any public building in the UK.

Internet Misuse:

We have WiFi and computers available to all of our students. However, any misuse of the internet, such as bullying or fraud, is strictly prohibited. It is also not allowed to access any pornographic material when using the internet at the college.

Contact with UKCE Staff:

Students are not to have any private contact with any UKCE staff or teachers. This includes exchanging personal email addresses, phone numbers, or social media contact details.

General behaviour:

Please be polite to the staff and to other students and treat everybody in the school with respect. Please don’t swear or use bad language or physical force towards any student. Any physical abuse will be reported to the Police. We have a zero tolerance policy on bullying, including emotional and physical bullying. No knives and sharp objects are allowed in the school. If you are a victim of bullying, please report this to a member of staff.



Informal Complaints Procedure

We believe that any problems you may have can usually be resolved quickly and fairly by simply chatting to your teacher or to one of our reception staff. Below you can find the school’s procedure for dealing with complaints.

      1. Tell your teacher or reception staff about your complaint. They will register your complaints on the Verbal Complaints Form.
      2. The Verbal Complaints Form will be given to the Director of Studies (DOS), who will attempt to remedy the problem. All complaints made to the DOS will be dealt with in the strictest confidence, unless it interferes with the effective investigation, in which case the student will be informed. All complaints will be investigated and the student will be given a plan of action within two days.
      3. The Verbal Complaints Form will be put in a case folder, where we will keep any records of meetings, decisions
        and actions taken, and will be kept up to date by the DOS.
      4. You may speak to the DOS or the Assistant DOS at any time he/she is available. A timeline of action will be agreed upon by both parties. We promise to deal with the issue as speedily as is possible, although timelines may vary depending on the nature of the complaint.

Formal Complaints Procedure

If you are not happy with the response from the DOS, you can begin our formal complaints procedure. You can find an explanation of this procedure below.

      1. Fill out a Written Complaints Form. These forms are available at reception.
      2. Submit the form to the Centre Head, Atam Sharma. The Centre Head will investigate the complaint and you will
        receive written confirmation of the complaint and action taken.
      3. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Centre Head, you can submit your Written Complaints Form to the Director of UKCBC Ltd. The Director will investigate the complaint and the decisions made by UKCE staff. You will receive written confirmation of the complaint and any action taken.


Having exhausted all internal options, in the unlikely event that the complainant believes their complaint has not been dealt with in accordance with the above procedure, they can request the assistance of an impartial third-party adjudicator.

British Council Accreditation Unit

Bridgewater House 58 Whitworth Street Manchester M1 6BB UK


The Chief Executive English UK

219 St John Street London EC1V 4LY



We review policies, procedures, and complaints at our quarterly Quality Assurance meetings attended by the Centre Head, the Director of Studies, and other relevant members of staff.

UKCE Useful Info

Higher Education


In 2012, over 420,000 international students from 200 nations chose to study in the United Kingdom for their higher education. With outstanding teaching and facilities, UK universities and colleges offer you a world-class higher education and qualifications that are respected by employers and academics worldwide.

UK higher education students are generally aged 18 or over (17 in Scotland), and have usually already achieved further education qualifications, such as A-levels, the International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers or an equivalent qualification from the UK or another country. Many have completed a foundation or access course too.

You can find more information about further education here:  higher education is split into two levels:

  • Undergraduate programmes include bachelors’ degrees, foundation degrees, higher national diplomas (HNDs) and more
  • Postgraduate programmes include masters’ degrees, MBAs, PhDs, doctorates and more. Usually, you need an undergraduate qualification to enter a postgraduate programme.

Most courses are taught in universities, but plenty are taught at colleges, specialist art institutions, business schools and agricultural colleges.

Finding a course and a university/college
For university courses in London, you can search here:
For a list of the highest ranked universities in the UK, search here:
There are additional links on the offcial government website:

Applying for a course

For most undergraduate courses, you must apply through the Universities and Colleges Application System (UCAS), at

  • You can find out about application deadlines at
  • For postgraduate courses, many universities and institutions handle their own application processes, and you can often apply directly via their website.


Some institutions use the UK Postgraduate Application and Statistical Service (UKPASS) scheme. You can see which institutions are part of the scheme and find out more at You can apply using the UKPASS service at any time as there are no deadlines. However, your preferred universities and colleges may have their own closing dates, so you’ll need to check with them before you apply.

  • UCAS Conservatoires is a separate application system for practice-based music courses, and some dance and drama courses, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You can find more information and apply online at
  • UCAS also operates an application system for graduates who want to take postgraduate teacher training courses. Find out more and apply online at

Would an exam help you?


How would an exam help

How do I enter an examination course (IELTS / CAE / FCE)?

  • The first thing you will need to do is speak to your current teacher.
  • He or she will then advise you on whether or not you are ready.
  • For advice about which exam would be suitable for you, talk to the Academic Co-ordinator (Oscar).
  • You will then need to take an entry test for the course that you wish to join.
  • To do this, you will need to arrange a time with the Office Administrator. (Tests take 1 hour)
  • If you fail the test, you may need to up to one month before trying again.


IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Recognised and consistent around the world, the IELTS exam is the most popular test for higher education and visa purposes. Available in 140 countries, there are 9,000 organisations that require a specific IELTS score. Results are available in 13 days and the test has been designed for maximum accuracy.

For most information, please see

CAE (‘Advanced’) The Cambridge Advanced Certificate, which corresponds to C1 on the CEFR spectrum, is a mark of advanced knowledge of English. It demonstrates that you are dedicated to learning English and have a high level of linguistic competency. It is allowable for visa purposes and accepted by educational institutions, businesses and government organisations.

For more information, please see

FCE (‘First’) The Cambridge First Certificate examination is an internationally recognised qualification and is acceptable for visa purposes. Taking this exam will not only improve your language skills and give you a goal to work towards, it will provide a foundation for further learning.

For more information, please see

Independent Study



UKCE have a small library of graded readers for students. These are lent to students for a deposit of £10.Whilst we have dictionaries, these are strictly for the lessons and not lent out. Students are encouraged to buy monolingual dictionaries. The cheapest place to purchase EFL materials is Blackwells bookshop: 50-51 High Holborn, WC1V 6EP.

Please check their website for more information:


There is a public library 15 minutes away on Charing Cross Road, where there is a small EFL section. There are course books such as Gold and English File as well as graded readers and self study exercise books (Vocabulary and Phrasal Verbs in Use.) The library also has 10 computers that students can use for a maximum of 60 minutes. You can also pre-book computer time. In addition there are many film DVDs and music CDs for rent. You can join the library with a proof of address. A letter from the school is acceptable. Computer Access and Study Areas: We have free WiFi in the school and UKCE students can use the computers in the break area. We can sometimes let students use empty classrooms to study. Please check with reception to find out if there are any classrooms available.

Groups, Clubs and Events:

All of our adult students are invited to join our social programmes which include a variety of events and activities around London and day trips outside of London. This is a good opportunity to practise and accelerate language, in particular, speaking skills, in a relaxed, social and enjoyable way.

Social Networking

We encourage new students to join our social networking sites for special offers and daily updates. This is also a great way to meet new people! Students are also encouraged to join the UKCE Facebook Group so as to stay informed of any school events and keep in contact once they have finished their course and returned to their countries. We feel this is vital in maintaining English language acquisition.
Facebook — UK College of English Twitter — @UK4English

Independent Learning links


Listening – Professional presentations given in English on a wide variety of topics. Improve your listening skills and learn more about topics that interest you. (Upper Intermediate +) – Podcasts on various topics with activities for all levels. – listening exercises and vocabulary builder

Speaking/ Pronunciation – Enormous range of material, plus a good online chat room. Get help with things like phrasal verbs, grammar, pronunciation and slang. Take part in the student forum. (All levels) – Practise answering questions on a wide variety of subjects. (Intermediate +) – speaking and pronunciation exercises.

Grammar and Vocabulary – Enormous range of material, plus a good online chat room. Get help with things like phrasal verbs, grammar, pronunciation and slang. Take part in the student forum. (All levels) – A lot of resources including online courses, interactive exercises and glossaries of useful vocabulary. (Pre-Intermediate +) – Search for online dictionaries; the Cambridge International Dictionary of English, the Cambridge Dictionary of American English, the Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms and the Cambridge International Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs (Intermediate +) – Lots of online resources including crosswords and other word games, plus an online grammar guide (Intermediate +) – Lessons on grammar and vocabulary, plus games, videos, quizzes and chat. (All levels) – Lots of games to help you learn and practise grammar and vocabulary. (All levels) – Self-study grammar quizzes. (All levels)

Reading – An excellent news website built especially for English language students. Choose from a selection of up-to-date news stories, each written in three different levels of difficulty. (Elementary – Intermediate – Upper-Intermediate) – Short reading texts for beginner – intermediate levels. – Books for every level with worksheets. Some books also have audio files.

Mixed Skills – Includes mobile and iPad friendly activities such as videos and audios. Grammar and vocabulary, stories and a lot of American-related content. (Elementary +) – Great teaching/learning materials on a variety of subjects. There are links to thousands of pages of ESL/EFL-related material, all categorized according to skill and difficulty. (All levels) – Links to lots of recommended sites (All levels) – Short descriptions and links to various sites. (All levels) – Links to 25 sites which are good for online English games. (All levels) – listening, reading, speaking, voice recording and grammar exercises. (All levels)



Homestay Accommodation and Halls of Residence

If you are new to London and do not yet have accommodation, we can organise accommodation for you. We work with a British Council Accredited agency to provide students with quality homestay accommodation in neighbourhoods all around London. Your hosts will treat you as a member of the household and will help you as you adjust to life in the UK.

Students under 18 will not be given keys to the home unless the hosts decide otherwise. You will be required to have a half board meal plan with your accommodation which includes breakfast and dinner, although your parent/guardian may request a full board, which includes a packed lunch. You will also have a curfew of 22:30 from Sunday to Thursday, and 23:30 on Fridays and Saturdays, unless your parent/guardian requests an earlier curfew.

For more information on homestays, you can refer to your pre-arrival pack or ask at reception.

You may also choose to stay in student halls of residence. We work with several different student halls around London. They are all different, with different amenities, and are subject to availability. If you would like more information on halls of residence, please ask at reception.

Organising your own accommodation

You may also organise accommodation yourself. Many long-term students choose to rent privately. If you decide to rent privately, here are a few things you will need to do:

  • Never sign a tenancy agreement or make any payments before you have visited the property. You need to check the place is real and the information about it is accurate. It is also important to always bring a friend with you when you visit. This is for your own safety, and to help you make a final decision. Make sure you are happy with the flat, the area, and the other people who will be sharing the flat with you. Remember, if your flatmates speak the same language as you, this could limit your ability to practice English outside of the classroom!
  • Find out about the cost of the rent and any extra bills, for example electricity, water, or council tax. It is very important to check if council tax is included in your rent. You do not have to pay council tax if everyone living in your accommodation, including you, is a full time student. To qualify as a full time student, your course must be at least one year and include at least 21 hours of study per week.
  • Follow legal requirements. You will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement. Feel free to ask a member of staff if you have any trouble understanding your agreement. You will also have to pay a deposit and provide references.
  • When living in a flatshare, it is important that you organise a cleaning schedule. Try to keep communal areas tidy
    and make sure to clean up after yourself when using the kitchen. Remember, your flatmates are not your parents. You will need to work together in order to successfully share your living space. It is also necessary to have at least basic cooking skills. Eating in restaurants or buying pre-prepared meals can be very expensive. If you are able to cook for yourself, you will have a lot more money to spend on sightseeing and going out with friends!


If you need any advice on organising or living in your own flat or flatshare, please feel free to speak to a member of reception staff, or a Welfare Officer.

Please note, students under 18 may not organise their own accommodation. Under 18s may only stay in accommodation organised by the college or by their parent/guardian.


Health and Wellness



Students are not entitled to free treatment and should take out medical insurance before arrival or as soon as possible after arrival. Private medical treatment is very expensive. Treatment with the National Health Service (NHS) is FREE if:

You are on a course for six months or more.
You come from a European Union country.
You come from a country with a health agreement with Britain (Georgia, Moldova,
Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Russian Federation, for example.) To find out if your country has a health agreement with
the UK, please check the UK Council for International Student Affairs:–Advice/Living-in-the-UK/Health-and-healthcare/National-Health-Servic

Although hospital treatment is free for the above categories of student, there is a charge that helps to pay for the cost of any medicine and some doctors may charge for non-emergency treatment. Additionally, if you come from a country with a health agreement with the UK, you may not be entitled to all NHS treatment. Please ask your doctor in your home country about whether you will need to buy any medical insurance.

Registering with a Doctor:

For treatment with the NHS you should see a doctor first, except in an emergency when you should go to a hospital (Accident and Emergency department) or call an ambulance (telephone 999). If you are entitled to free NHS treatment, register with a doctor as soon as possible after arrival. To register, you will need photo ID and proof of address. You will receive a NHS card with a number which you will need to have to get NHS treatment. You should register with a doctor near where you live. You can and lists of Doctors in Post Offices, Chemists, Citizen’s Advice Bureau and Public Libraries, or see Reception for advice. There is a NHS Walk-in Health Centre near the school at:

1 Frith Street (off Soho Square), London, W1D 3QS.

It is open every day for healthcare, information, advice and treatment; no appointment is necessary. You can also telephone NHS Direct on 111 for 24 hour nurse advice and health information.

Women’s Health Problems:

Contraception and birth control advice is free for students entitled to free NHS treatment. Go to your doctor or your local NHS Family Planning Clinic. Advice on pregnancy and family planning can also be obtained from private agencies registered with the Department of Health, such as:

British Pregnancy Advisory Service:
45 Columbo Street
London, SE1 8EE
Tel: 03457304030 Website:


If you are registered with a doctor for NHS medical treatment you can go to a NHS dentist. Lists are available from Reception or at Post Offces. There is a charge for dental treatment under the NHS. For more information about NHS dental charges, please see:


Eye tests are available from any optician. It costs around £20. Lenses and frames for glasses can cost £50 or more, depending on what you choose

Useful Information and Addresses



If you want to open a bank account, you will need a letter from the school confirming you are a student and you will need a document confirming your address in the UK and your home country. The bank may ask for your written permission to get a reference about you from a bank or financial institution if you have an account in the country that you come from. Because banks’ requirements vary, it is not possible to be absolutely definite about what documents they will accept. There may also be a charge to open a new account or the bank may require you to maintain a minimum balance.


We advise all students to arrange medical and personal insurance. UKCE does not provide insurance or endorse any insurance company, but Endsleigh Insurance Services ( is a commonly used company and can arrange insurance for you.

Legal Problems

For legal advice you can go to a Citizen’s Advice Bureau. You can nd the nearest one to where you live by checking this website:
Here is the address of the nearest one to the school: Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand Tel: 0844 856 3534


London has Europe’s largest shopping area which is situated right outside UKCE on Oxford Street. Here you will find absolutely everything for your day to day needs and also souvenirs for your family and friends.

Missing your family and want to talk to them?

You can buy sim cards to make phone calls at very cheap rates. The cards can be bought from any supermarket shop located in London. We recommend Lyca, Lebara and Vectone sim cards for overseas calls. The same Sim can be your primary contact here in the UK and any unlocked phone can be used.


The nearest public libraries to the school are:
Charing Cross Library
4 Charing Cross Road
London, WC2

Westminster Central Reference Library
St Martins Street
London, WC2


The nearest police station to the school is:
Charing Cross Police Station
Agar Street
London WC2N 4JP
Tel: 0207 240 1212

Post Office

The nearest Post Office to the school is:
The Plaza, WH Smith
120 Oxford St
London W1D 1LT

Useful Websites



Places to Worship London

If you need a room to pray, we can make a room available for you. Separate rooms are available for men and women. Please come to reception and let us know what your requirements are. We will do our best to accommodate you.

Student Visa

Police registration certificates:

Some international students need to register with the Police once they arrive in the UK. If it states on your visa that you need to register, then you will need to go to the Overseas Visitor Registration Ofce (OVRO) once you arrive in the UK. Normally students must do this within seven days of arriving in the UK by going directly to the OVRO. Please be aware there are often long queues to register at the OVRO, especially in September, when many students arrive in the UK.

You will need to submit:

  • Your completed OVRO form. Please complete and print the form from the Metropolitan Police website. Handwritten forms are not accepted
  • One UK sized colour passport photo (this should be pasted to the form before you arrive)
  • Your passport (photocopies are not accepted)
  • Your visa or Biometric Residence Permit (if you have applied for your visa outside of the UK, this will be in your passport, if you applied within the UK you will have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
  • Home Office letter requiring you to register


There is a £34 registration fee which you can pay by cash, travellers’ cheque or by credit/debit card. To access the form and the most accurate information on the the process, please go to:

Overseas Visitors Registration

Once you have your Police Registration Certificate

You need to keep this safe for your records. If you need to apply for another visa in the UK, you will have to send your Police Registration Certifcate as part of your application. You also need to keep the Certificate up to date, which means notifying the Police and the Home Office of any changes of address or if you get a new visa. This must always be done within seven days of the change.

If you are just reporting a change of address, this can be done at your local Police Station. A new visa must be reported to OVRO at the address above

A Few Warnings


Age restrictions and related sales:

There are limitations to what you can purchase in the UK. Please see the table below for information about age restrictions:


You must be over the age of eighteen (18) to buy alcoholic drinks or to drink them on licensed premises (pubs, wine bars etc). If you look under 25, your age will be checked, so be prepared

UK Age Restrictions


The penalities for illegal drug use depends on the type of drug and the amount. For information on which drugs are illegal in the UK and the penalties, please see


The school strongly recommends that students do not hitch-hike during their stay in the UK.

Motoring Offences:

Foreign drivers are expected to know and follow the British Highway Code. The most serious driving offences include driving after consuming alcohol, reckless driving and driving without insurance. Please remember that in the UK you must drive on the left hand side of the road. You can read the British Highway Code here:

Possession of offensive weapons:

It is illegal to carry offensive weapons (e.g. Guns, knives) in a public place, even for defensive purposes.


We advise you not to carry large amounts of cash. Make sure you keep your valuables secure at all times when walking around London, as pick-pockets operate in central London. At night we advise that you walk in well-lit, busy areas.


Laws against stealing from shops are always strictly enforced.


If, for any reason, you are arrested during your stay please call the school emergency number. You have the right to be represented and you cannot be held without charge for more than 48 hours unless a terror

Emergency procedure

Fire exits

The building is equipped with fire alarm systems which are maintained and tested.

The 1st -4th floor need to use the main entrance as a fire exit.

The 5th floor needs to use the door next to the Academic Department room.

If the fire alarm rings, your teacher or a member of school staff will tell you what to do. The assembly point is Soho Street but please follow the instructions of your teacher/re marshal.

We have weekly fire alarm test on Wednesdays between 10-12 pm, when the fire bell will ring for a short time as it is being tested. Please ignore it unless you are instructed differently.

The college operates a no smoking policy throughout its buildings.

If you discover a fire:
You have to warn persons nearby and raise the alarm by breaking one of the fire alarm call points, and inform a member of staff of the fire location without delay

DO NOT attempt to fight the fire unless you have been trained to do so.

Evacuation Procedures

Evacuation instructions are placed in all rooms and strategically placed around all of the College buildings. In event of the re alarm sounding:

  • Collect your belongings and leave immediately in an orderly and controlled manner via the nearest available re exit route, unless otherwise instructed by a designated fire warden.
  • Nominated Fire Wardens can be identified by their hi-visibility jackets (yellow)
  • The designated meeting point where you MUST report to is SOHO STREET
  • Report to the UKCE fire warden once you have left the premises and report any missing persons.
  • DO NOT attempt to return to any part of the College.
  • DO NOT attempt to use the lift. If you are in the lift when the alarm sounds, it will return to the ground floor, where you should exit and go to the meeting point.
  • Any person with disabilities who cannot evacuate the premises without assistance needs to inform the college prior to admission and appropriate arrangements will have been made to assist their evacuation
  • If you ever see a student, staff member, or any other person acting suspiciously or tampering with fire equipment, please report this to a staff member immediately

Fire Marshals

Health and Safety


Emergency Contact Numbers:

Atam Sharma: 07487 799283 or 07956190552 ( out of hours, emergency contact)
UKCE Campus 02077 346485
(For all emergencies during office hours 9 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday)

(Police, fire, ambulance)

To call your local police station in a non-emergency: 101

Emergency London Numbers


The safety and well-being of under 18s is very important to us. Please read the following information very carefully to ensure you understand your role in our safeguarding policy.

Under 18s in mixed age groups

Your parent or guardian must sign a consent form for you to join classes that also have over 18s. This form confirms their understanding of the risks involved and their belief that UKCE’s safety measures are sufficient.

Student cards

You will be given your student card with a red lanyard on your first morning and you must wear your student card at all times while in the school.

Travelling to and from the school

We will provide information from to help you arrange the journey. When you have received travel advice, you will be asked to sign a confirmation form. Your parent or guardian must also sign a consent form allowing you to travel to and from the school. Oxford Street is usually a safe place, but it is also a popular tourist area, so please be careful.

Before and after your lessons

An attendance register for under 18’s is kept at reception. You must sign in before the beginning of your class and you must sign out at the end of your class. When your class has finished, you are very welcome to stay at the school and use the computers or books.


If you are going to be absent, your parent or guardian must notify the school as soon as possible. If you notify the school yourself, we will confirm with your parent or guardian. If you have not arrived at the school within the first 15 minutes of your lesson, we will make an immediate call to your parent or guardian.

Internet Policy

We have wifi and computers available to all of our students. It is not allowed to access any pornographic material. Please also be aware of other misuses of the internet, such as bullying or fraud. We will advise you about internet safety when you register and you will be asked to sign a form confirming that you have received this advice.


    • If you have a problem big or small, at school, or with your accommodation or any other kind of problem, please tell someone at the school. Our Welfare Officers are Oscar and Lara and they are always very happy to talk to you. You can also talk to your teacher, or the Director of Studies. You can also ask your family to speak to us.

The important thing is to talk to us.

  • If you are not at the school and you have a serious problem or emergency, please call. The school telephone number is 02077346485 and the emergency number is 07487799283 – it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • If you need to contact the police, or get an ambulance, or call the fire service, call the UK emergency number: 999


Please see our website for our complete safeguarding policy:

Take care during your stay